Chapter Member Newsletter
ACM Chapter Member News | June 2016
Welcome to the June 2016 edition of ACM Chapter Member News
Chapters are the "local neighborhoods" of ACM. Our Professional and Student chapters worldwide serve as nodes of activity for ACM members and the computing community at large, offering seminars, lectures, and the opportunity to meet peers and experts in many fields of interest. With over 950 active chapters worldwide, we would like to take the time now to connect with all of you, and bring you a few ACM Highlights.
HEADLINES AT A GLANCE:
Student Chapter Excellence Award Winners
The ACM Student Chapter Excellence Awards recognizes chapters that display considerable initiative during the academic year. All student chapters in good standing were encouraged to apply for this award in five key areas. We had over 78 submissions and would like to thank all the chapters who participated. The 2015-2016 Student Chapter Excellence award winners are:
Outstanding Chapter Activities: Pontificia Universidad Javeriana ACM Student Chapter
Outstanding Community Service: PSUT ACM Student Chapter
Outstanding Website: Amity ACM Student Chapter
Outstanding Recruitment Program: UPES ACM Student Chapter
Outstanding School Service: University of Tehran ACM Student Chapter
These winning chapters will receive $500 and a "best of" icon to proudly display on their chapter's Web page. They are featured on the ACM Website and will be in the next ACM MemberNet.
ACM 2016 Annual Reports Due
ACM's fiscal year is coming to a close which means it is time to submit your ACM Annual Report. The report is for the fiscal year 2016 (July 1, 2015 - June 30, 2016). Chapters who are currently under probationary status who do not complete this annual report will face de-chartering.
To complete the report online, you must log in with your unique chapter web account. Please note, your chapter web account is entirely separate from your personal web account and should be accessible to all officers: http://www.acm.org/chapters/chapter-administrative-interface.
If you are unsure of your chapter web account or need to reset the password, please follow this link: https://accounts.acm.org/signin.cfm
Please also take this time to update your chapter's contact information including your membership list (under the Chapter Members tab) and officers (under the Chapter Officers tab.) You can utilize our edit features to extend memberships, updates emails addresses, or cancel past members who are no longer part of your chapter. Keeping your membership list current and up to date is important. It ensures that all members receive the maximum benefits they are entitled to and are kept aware of all the latest ACM happenings and resources.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org
On May 18th, the LaGuardia Community College ACM Student Chapter hosted a workshop called ‘Tracking People Using Live Camera.’ Object tracking has been widely adopted in various cyber-physical systems, including traffic analysis, healthcare, public safety, wildlife tracking and environment/weather monitoring. Through the digital camera video capture and signal processing on the computer, a moving object can be identified and followed along the image sequence. In this project, they demonstrated how to set up the camera video processing platform, and how to perform object detection and tracking based on the open-source package OpenCV.
Congratulations LaGuardia Community College ACM Student Chapter and keep up the great work.
If your chapter would like to be featured in the chapter spotlight please email email@example.com with a description of your recent event.
- ADA University ACM Student Chapter -Baku, Azerbaijan (Student)
- Alfred State College ACM Student Chapter - Alfred, NY (Student)
- Amaravathi ACM Chapter - Guntur, Inidia (Professional)
- Amity-Gwalior ACM Student Chapter - Gwalior, Inidia (Student)
- Atlanta ACM SIGGRAPH Chapter - Atlanta, GA (Professional)
- Bhiwani ACM Chapter- Bhiwani, India (Professional)
- Bhopal ACM Chapter - Bhopal, India (Professional)
- BMCC ACM-W Student Chapter - New York, NY (Student)
- Bucknell University ACM-W Student Chapter -Lewisburg, PA (Student)
- BUITEMS ACM Student Chapter - Quetta, Pakistan (Student)
- California Polytechnic State University Pomona ACM-W Student Chapter - Pomona, CA (Student)
- Calvin College ACM-W Student Chapter - Grand Rapids, MI (Student)
- Carleton College ACM-W Student Chapter - Northfield, MN (Student)
- Cartagena ACM Chapter- Cartagena, Colombia (Professional)
- CCOMM ACM Chapter - Nanjing, China (Professional)
- Clemson University ACM-W Student Chapter - Clemson, SC (Student)
- CMOBILE ACM Chapter - Shanghai, China (Professional)
- Columbus State University ACM-W Student Chapter - Columbus, GA (Student)
- COMSATS IIT Attock ACM Student Chapter - Attock, Pakistan (Student)
- CUST ACM Student Chapter - Islamabad,Pakistan (Student)
- De La Salle-College of St. Benilde ACM Student Chapter - Manila, Philippines (Student)
- Drexel University ACM-W Student Chapter- Philadelphia, PA (Student)
- DYPIET ACM Student Chapter - Pune, India (Student)
- FISAT ACM Student Chapter - Ernakulam, India (Student)
- FUTA ACM Student Chapter - Akure, Nigeria (Student)
- GCE Karad ACM Student Chapter - Karad, India (Student)
- Habib University ACM Student Chapter - Karachi, Pakistan (Student)
- Harare ACM SIGSAC Chapter - Harare, Zimbabwe (Professional)
- Harare Institute of Technology ACM Student Chapter - Harare, Zimbabwe (Student)
- IIIT-Sricity ACM Student Chapter - Sricity, India (Student)
- IIT Ropar ACM Student Chapter- Rupnagar, India (Student)
- Illinois Institute of Technology ACM-W Student Chapter- Chicago, IL (Student)
- Indiana University - Bloomington ACM-W Student Chapter - Bloomington, IN (Student)
- Instituto Tecnológico Superior de Álamo Temapache ACM Student Chapter - Álamo Temapache,Veracruz, Mexico (Student)
- KLNCIT ACM Student Chapter - Sivagangai, India (Student)
- KSRCAS ACM-W Student Chapter- Namakkal, India (Student)
- Lehigh University ACM-W Student Chapter- Bethlehem, PA (Student)
- Manipal University ACM Student Chapter - Manipal, India (Student)
- McMaster University ACM Student Chapter - Hamilton, Canada (Student)
- Meghnad Saha Institute of Technology ACM Student Chapter - Kolkata, India (Student)
- Minnesota State University Mankato ACM Student Chapter - Mankato, MN (Student)
- MITM ACM Student Chapter - Indore, India (Student)
- Monmouth University ACM-W Student Chapter - West Long Branch, NJ (Student)
- Nazeer Hussain University ACM Student Chapter - Karachi, Pakistan (Student)
- Nazeer Hussain University ACM-W Student Chapter - Karachi, Pakistan (Student)
- NED University of Engineering and Technology ACM Student Chapter - Karachi, Pakistan (Student)
- New York City College of Technology ACM Student Chapter - Brooklyn, NY (Student)
- New York City College of Technology ACM-W Student Chapter - Brooklyn, NY (Student)
- New York Metro ACM Chapter - Farmingdale, NY (Professional)
- North Carolina A&T State University ACM Student Chapter - Greensboro, NC (Student)
- Pontificia Universidad Javeriana ACM-W Student Chapter - Bogota, Colombia (Student)
- Presbyterian College ACM Student Chapter - Clinton, SC (Student)
- Rowan University ACM Student Chapter- Glassboro, NJ (Student)
- Saint Peter's University ACM-W Student Chapter - Jersey City, NJ (Student)
- Santa Clara University ACM SIGGRAPH Student Chapter - Santa Clara, CA (Student)
- Savitribai Phule Pune University DoT ACM Student Chapter - Pune, India (Student)
- Stanley College of Engineering and Technology for Women ACM-W Student Chapter - Hyderabad, India (Student)
- The College of St. Scholastica ACM-W Student Chapter - Duluth, MN (Student)
- Universidad de Cuenca ACM Student Chapter - Cuenca, Ecuador (Student)
- University of Bath ACM-W Student Chapter - Bath, United Kingdom (Student)
- University of Michigan - Flint ACM Student Chapter - Flint, MI (Student)
- University of Toronto iSchool ACM Student Chapter - Toronto, Canada (Student)
- University of Victoria ACM-W Student Chapter - Victoria , Canada (Student)
- UOIT ACM-W Student Chapter - Oshawa, Canada (Student)
- Vimal Jyothi Engineering College ACM Student Chapter - Kannur, India (Student)
- Walla Walla University ACM Student - College Place, WA (Student)
- WCE ACM Student Chapter - Sangli, India (Student)
- Western Michigan University ACM Student Chapter - Kalamazoo, MI (Student)
- Windhoek ACM Chapter - Windhoek , Namibia (Professional)
- Windhoek ACM SIGCHI Chapter - Windhoek , Namibia (Professional)
- Windhoek ACM-W Chapter - Windhoek , Namibia (Professional)
- ZIBACAR ACM-W Student Chapter - Pune, India (Student)
Not an ACM Member yet? Whether you are a student or a professional, ACM has great benefits to offer you. Read all about ACM's many benefits and membership options.
Chapter and Chapter Member Benefits
Be sure to take advantage of the benefits ACM Chapters and ACM Chapter Members receive.
Why I Belong to ACM
Hear from Bryan Cantrill, vice president of engineering at Joyent, Ben Fried chief information officer at Google, and Theo Schlossnagle, OmniTI founder on why they are members of ACM.
ACM Queue’s “Research for Practice” is your number one resource for keeping up with emerging developments in the world of theory and applying them to the challenges you face on a daily basis. In this installment, Dan Crankshaw and Joey Gonzalez provide an overview of machine learning server systems. What happens when we wish to actually deploy a machine learning model to production, and how do we serve predictions with high accuracy and high computational efficiency? Dan and Joey’s curated research selection presents cutting-edge techniques spanning database-level integration, video processing, and prediction middleware. Given the explosion of interest in machine learning and its increasing impact on seemingly every application vertical, it's possible that systems such as these will become as commonplace as relational databases are today.
Written by leading domain experts for software engineers, ACM Case Studies provide an in-depth look at how software teams overcome specific challenges by implementing new technologies, adopting new practices, or a combination of both. Often through first-hand accounts, these pieces explore what the challenges were, the tools and techniques that were used to combat them, and the solution that was achieved.