Chapter Member Newsletter
ACM Chapter Member News | June 2018
Welcome to the June 2018 edition of the ACM Chapter Member News
Chapters are the "local neighborhoods" of ACM. Our Professional and Student chapters worldwide serve as nodes of activity for ACM members and the computing community at large, offering seminars, lectures, and the opportunity to meet peers and experts in many fields of interest. With over 1000 active chapters worldwide, we would like to take the time now to connect with all of you, and bring you a few ACM Highlights.
HEADLINES AT A GLANCE:
Student Chapter Excellence Award Winners
Congratulations to the winners of the 2017-2018 Student Chapter Excellence Awards! This program recognizes ACM student Chapters worldwide that display considerable initiative during the academic year. We would like to thank all the Chapters who participated. Winning Chapters in each of these five areas receive $500 and a "best of" icon to proudly display on their Chapter's web page.
The winners for 2017-2018 are:
- Outstanding Chapter Activities: Florida International University ACM Student Chapter
- Outstanding Community Service: College of William & Mary ACM-W Student Chapter
- Outstanding Website: Univ of Wisconsin-Madison ACM-W Student Chapter
- Outstanding Recruitment Program: BITS Pilani-Rajasthan ACM Student Chapter
- Outstanding School Service: UCLA ACM Student Chapter
Learn more about what's happening at these schools by reading their winning submissions at the Student Chapter Excellence Awards page.
ACM's fiscal year is coming to a close, which means it is time to submit your ACM Annual Report. The report is for the fiscal year 2018 (July 1, 2017 - June 30, 2018) and is due by August 31, 2018.
To complete the report online, you must log in with your unique chapter web account at https://www.acm.org/chapters/chapter-administrative-interface. Please note, your chapter web account is entirely separate from your personal web account and should be accessible to all officers. If you are unsure of your chapter web account or need to reset the password, please follow this link: https://accounts.acm.org/signin.cfm.
Please also take this time to update your chapter's contact information, including your membership list (under the Chapter Members tab) and officers (under the Chapter Officers tab.) You can utilize our edit features to extend memberships, update email addresses, or cancel past members who are no longer part of your chapter. Keeping your membership list current and up to date is important. It ensures that all members receive the maximum benefits they are entitled to and are kept aware of all the latest ACM happenings and resources.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact email@example.com.
Best ACM-W Chapter Officer Contest
ACM-W Student Chapters provide young women opportunities to develop leadership skills. The Best ACM-W Officer Contest gives student chapters a chance to recognize the hard work and dedication of their impactful chapter leaders. Congratulations to the 2018 winner, Sukriti Paul, the Chair of the Manipal IT ACM-W Student Chapter in Manipal, India. Sukriti will be given the opportunity to attend an ACM Celebration or the Grace Hopper Celebration during the 2018-2019 academic year.
UITCS ACM Student Chapter
- On May 8th, UITCS ACM Student Chapter from Karachi, Pakistan started a series of interactive sessions called "Technical Tuesday". The students and faculty gather every Tuesday, to discuss how technology is growing at a rapid rate and how the students can use it efficiently for the betterment of themselves as well as society. Moreover the students and faculty also share knowledge about new technology and ideas about chapter activities which are then implemented by the chapter.
London ACM SIGGRAPH Chapter
- On April 19th, the London ACM SIGGRAPH Chapter held an event named KIDDO – Short Film Screening and Q&A – Creator Series. The talk covered the creative and technical challenging journey of a micro-budget Sci-Fi passion project named ‘KIDDO’. From PRE-PROD all the way to POST, a world-class of incredible talent and companies came together to deliver an outstanding piece of work. Some of those key contributors shared their personal experiences on how the project’s aesthetics came to be, including Director, VFX and CG Supervisor, Rigging, FX, Motion Graphics and Grading.
NIT Surat ACM Student Chapter
NIT Surat ACM Student Chapter, along with Research park SVNIT, conducted the first ever Hackathon “DOTSLASH - Root to Ideas,” a 30 hour long Hackathon on April 7-8th, with the aim to build the platform for developers around the world to use their innovative skills to produce something new and useful for society. The focus was to let their imagination flow free and enable them to push the boundaries of what can be done. Students from different regions competed for the top positions with their coding skills and innovative thoughts. Participants were able to meet and interact with mentors from large companies, share their ideas and gain guidance to adapt to the rapid changes required during the event. Around 150 participants developed projects on themes like HealthCare, E-campus and Smart City.
Congratulations to all of these Chapters! Keep up the great work!
If your chapter would like to be featured in the chapter spotlight please email firstname.lastname@example.org a description of your recent event.
- ACM-W Student Chapter at UW-Platteville - Platteville, WI (Student)
- AITR ACM Student Chapter - Indore, India (Student)
- Bennett University ACM-W Student Chapter - Greater Noida, India (Student)
- Boston University ACM Student Chapter - Boston, MA (Student)
- Bowling Green State University ACM-W Student Chapter - Bowling Green, OH (Student)
- Chengdu ACM SIGGRAPH Chapter - Chengdu, China (Professional)
- CIIT Lahore ACM Student Chapter - Lahore, Pakistan (Student)
- CIT Kokrajhar ACM Student Chapter - Kokrajhar, India (Student)
- Colorado State University Pueblo ACM Student Chapter - Pueblo, CO (Student)
- Dhaka ACM SIGGRAPH Chapter - Dhaka, Bangladesh (Professional)
- Edmond ACM Chapter - Edmond, OK (Professional)
- Everett Community College ACM Student Chapter - Everett, WA (Student)
- Ferris State University ACM Student Chapter - Big Rapids, MI (Student)
- GEU ACM Student Chapter - Dehradun, India (Student)
- IIT Ropar ACM-W Student Chapter - Rupnagar, India (Student)
- IIT Tirupati ACM Student Chapter - Tirupati, India (Student)
- IUPUI ACM Student Chapter - Indianapolis, IN (Student)
- JEC ACM Student Chapter - Jabalpur, India (Student)
- K. N. Toosi University of Technology ACM Student Chapter - Tehran, Iran (Student)
- KCCITM ACM Student Chapter - Greater Noida, India (Student)
- Keystone ACM Student Chapter - Pune, India (Student)
- Knox College ACM-W Student Chapter - Galesburg, IL (Student)
- Manipal IT ACM-W Student Chapter - Udupi, India (Student)
- Minneapolis ACM Chapter - Blaine, MN (Professional)
- Mohammad Ali Jinnah University ACM Student Chapter - Karachi, Pakistan (Student)
- Northeastern University SV ACM Student Chapter - San Jose, CA (Student)
- NVCC ACM-W Student Chapter - Annandale, VA (Student)
- OCWiC ACM-W Chapter - Columbus, OH (Professional)
- PES University ACM Student Chapter - Bangalore, India (Student)
- Pune ACM-W Chapter - Pune, India (Professonal)
- Quito ACM SIGCHI Chapter - Quito, Ecuador (Professional)
- Rider University ACM Student Chapter - Lawrenceville, NJ (Student)
- Santiago ACM SIGCHI Chapter - Macul, Chile (Professional)
- Stanford University ACM SIGGRAPH Student Chapter -Stanford, CA (Student)
- Toledo ACM-W Chapter - Toledo, OH (Professional)
- Universidad Continental ACM Student Chapter - Junin, Peru (Student)
- University of Dayton ACM Student Chapter - Dayton, OH (Student)
- University of Jordan ACM Student Chapter - Amman, Jordan (Student)
- University of Maryland Eastern Shore ACM Student Chapter - Princess Ann, MD (Student)
- UTEC ACM Student Chapter - Lima, Peru (Student)
- VSIT ACM Student Chapter - Wadala - East, India (Student)
- VVCE ACM Student Chapter - Mysuru, India (Student)
- Weston ACM-W Chapter - Weston, FL (Professional)
Not an ACM Member yet? Whether you are a student or a professional, ACM has great benefits to offer you. Read all about ACM's many benefits and membership options.
Chapter and Chapter Member Benefits
Be sure to take advantage of the benefits ACM Chapters and ACM Chapter Members receive.
ACM's prestigious conferences and journals are seeking top-quality papers in all areas of computing and IT. It is now easier than ever to find the most appropriate venue for your research and publish with ACM.
Written by leading domain experts for software engineers, ACM Case Studies provide an in-depth look at how software teams overcome specific challenges by implementing new technologies, adopting new practices, or a combination of both. Often through first-hand accounts, these pieces explore what the challenges were, the tools and techniques that were used to combat them, and the solution that was achieved.
Why I Belong to ACM
Hear from Bryan Cantrill, vice president of engineering at Joyent, Ben Fried chief information officer at Google, and Theo Schlossnagle, OmniTI founder on why they are members of ACM.