Computing and statistics underpin the rapid emergence of data science as a pivotal academic discipline.
ACM, the Association for Computing Machinery, and IMS, the Institute of Mathematical Statistics, the two key academic organizations in these areas, have launched a new joint venture to propel data science and to engage and energize our communities to work together.
ACM and IMS will hold an all-day launch event on June 15, 2019 in San Francisco. This event will bring together distinguished speakers and panelists addressing topics such as deep learning, reinforcement learning, fairness, and ethics, in addition to discussions about the future of data science and the role of ACM and IMS.
Confirmed speakers and panelists follow. Additional panelists to be added.
- Jeffrey Dean, Google, "Deep Learning for Tackling Real-World Problems"
- David Donoho, Stanford University
- Daphne Koller, insitro, Stanford University
Panel 1: Deep Learning, Reinforcement Learning, and Role of Methods in Data Science
- Shirley Ho, Flatiron Institute
- Sham Kakade, University of Washington
- Manuela Veloso, J. P. Morgan, Carnegie Mellon University
Panel 2: Robustness and Stability in Data Science
- Aleksander Madry, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Xiao-Li Meng, Harvard University
- Richard J. Samworth, University of Cambridge, Alan Turing Institute
- Bin Yu, University of California, Berkeley
Panel 3: Fairness and Ethics in Data Science
- Alexandra Chouldechova, Carnegie Mellon University
- Kristian Lum, HRDAG (Human Rights Data Analysis Group)
Final Session: Future of Data Science
- Michael I. Jordan, University of California, Berkeley
- Adrian Smith, Alan Turing Institute
Information about the event program and registration will be available soon.
Please plan to join us in San Francisco.
- Jeannette Wing, Columbia University, USA
- David Madigan, Columbia University, USA
- Magdalena Balazinska, University of Washington, USA
- Joseph Gonzalez, University of California Berkeley, USA
- Chris Holmes, University of Oxford, UK
- Yannis Ioannidis, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Greece
- Ryan Tibshirani, Carnegie Mellon University, USA
- Daniela Witten, University of Washington, USA